A place for me to share my love for all things cooking, wine and Bento.  The research for this blog is going to continually be grueling my friends.... ;)

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Everything's A Skew!!!

Welcome first of all to my new blog.  Nuff said...on to business.

With my new dive into the world of Bento, I'm gathering ideas for one very fun element of Bento and that is mini skewers.  I think so far, these are my favorite.  This picture is from Google Images:

I had been looking at ideas but when I saw these, I just made some out loud oohs and awes.  My whole goal with Bento (and this blog actually) is to energize my healthy food making for my family.  These are the epitomy of fun!!!

There are many more ideas on google for skewer ideas.  I'm looking forward to sharing what I come up with   myself as well.

Tool Ideas: 


  • Gender Preferences: I'm going to purchase some of these for my son on Amazon.  They are for cupcakes but won't he be just the coolest dude at the lunch table when eating his healthy food reveals his Jedi powers!!!?  There are plenty leaning to boys and girls different tastes.
  • Appetizer toothpicks of all kinds:   I'm hoping to do a post JUST ON THESE ideas!  Bento uses some fun stuff of their own but you can make them, purchase them, or just use plain old toothpicks. 
  • Cupcake toppers by theme:  I will be sharing these soon, but in the party isle you can find fun sets of cupcake toppers that can be used to skew little bites and follow a theme in your lunch box. 
  • DIY!: There are TONS of ideas for making fun skewers.  Some of them are weird, but some are actually clever. 
Food Ideas:


  • Mini versions of normal dishes: Like the one above, you could really run with this and do mini hamburgers, mini pizzas, mini PB&J layers...you name it!
  • Breakfast skewers:  I'm thinking of doing boiled eggs with bacon or ham and tiny squares of waffle or toast. You could also run with some famous omelets and do a theme from that.  For instance, the Denver omelet skewer would have the egg, ham, small diced onion and green pepper and cheese.  
  • Classical:  This would be some real classics like apple chunks and cheese, grapes and cheese, salami and cheese with olives, cherry tomato with basil and sliced string cheese mozzarella. 
  • International skewers:  Things together in one bite like pineapple and teriyaki chicken (leftovers are great this way), mini ravioli and mini meatballs (both at Trader Joes!), Curry chicken with raisins and baby corn pieces, or black bean with cherry tomatoes and firm avocado   

I hope this is enough to spark your interest!  Really, anything you like for appetizer skewer ideas will work for ideas.  I'll be sharing putting my ideas into practice as the blog develops.  Know too that I don't intend for this blog to be all Bento type stuff, right now I'm just on a kick with it.  So, hang with me. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment