A place for me to share my love for all things cooking, wine and Bento.  The research for this blog is going to continually be grueling my friends.... ;)

Friday, September 7, 2012

Mama's Got Some Loot!

So I took a few minutes to see if Ross had anything for my culinary passions today. I was not disappointed! (may I say, I love Ross!) Some of the others I picked up in the baking party isle at Walmart.

Character cookie cutters are used in kids Bento for cutting sandwiches or more traditionally on the Japanese end of things, shaping shushi rice.  This is about as far as I'll go into making characters, though later I'd like to get Bento accessories to add cute hats and faces to things, but I don't like all the in depth character making really.  This is simple enough for me.

These have matching cupcake papers and pics that I can use when making themed Bento boxes.  The muffin papers will be for arranging and the pics for skewers or accent decorations.  With One packet, costing me $2.25, I have 24 of each.  That is plenty for the whole school year of every now and then having a Sponge Bob themed lunch for Caed.  The pics can be reused as long as they don't get messy.  Frankly, so could the papers if used for dry goldfish or something but I may not bother.  I think 24 is plenty. 




Well, this picture is upside down!!! Sorry.  I found a pie mold set at Ross for $3.49.  Rick is really excited about these!  They come in four sizes.  I can make batches of meat or fruit pies and freeze them!  He can have big ones, the kids can have smaller ones for their Bento lunches or snacks.  I'm really excited about this.  I hate making pie dough but if I made a huge batch I could just get it all done on a sat.  Honestly, I think I could even make dumplings and perogies (I polish dumpling) with these.  I'll have to look into it.  Even ravioli.  The bottom has the perfect circle press to cut out the dough, then you just place it on top, fill it and press it.  OMG.  So excited! 



I was also excited to find my first sandiwch press set at Ross.  These are great because, unlike the cookie cutters, they don't waste much of the sandwich.  My plan with the cookie cutters is to save the pieces to make mini sandwich skewers later, or give the dog a treat! :)  Anyway, I found out that you don't want to put a ton of PB&J on these if you want them to cut right.  Caedmon went off with these in his Bento lunch today.  The picture is further down.  Not going to bother moving it. Blogger is annoying with that. Oh, and know too that if I had wanted I could have added carrot or cheese circles for the extras on these.  Shapes were enough for today!



Ross had some brand new Halloween stuff too!  (May I say, I'm so anxious for Halloween this year!  I have a fun plan for the kids and I'll share later on).  


They also had mini cutters!!!! Yippie!  These are great for shaping small bites of cheese, bread, meat, veggies and some fruits!

Some non-bento loot, my Sushi ware!!! I've been hangin out looking for sushi dishes for a long time.  I was so thrilled and they were so well priced.  Four square plates, two rectangles, five Miso Soup bowls (Trader Joes has awesome Miso Soup packets!) and I grapped the matching bowl from the set to serve extra rice for my kids when we have sushi.  I'm making sushi tonight!  Victoria is having her special friend over for a movie with our fam and sushi is on the menu!  I'm also making the Japanese omelet dish Tamagoyaki.  I'm practicing on those for future Bento so be looking for a post just on that dish!  (See!  This is why I had to do this blog, I'm just so excited about all this...how can I not share!)

So, just the other day, I was thinking to myself that I really hoped to find some shallow gourmet soup bowls.  Soup is just not given its glamour gown often enough!  A nice shallow bowl let's it look glorious and gives a ledge for crostini or other bread sides. These were just $2 each!  I got them all.  Later today I'm posting a soup recipe and used one of these to try out the look.  The soup was amazingly yummy but ugly.  Somehow, it looked better in one of these.  I'm ready for another batch of Gazpacho in these too!

So, lastly, here was today's kid Bento.  Caedmon got the sapped PB&J, animal crackers, string cheese bites, cucumber and a fruit snack.

The girls got a more sophisticated looking version for their age.  Unfortunately, I ran out of cucumber for them.  

Some exciting possibilities ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment