A place for me to share my love for all things cooking, wine and Bento.  The research for this blog is going to continually be grueling my friends.... ;)

Friday, September 7, 2012

Looks Are So Deceiving!

The other day I HAD to use up some veggies.  I got out my crock pot and started chopping like I just didn't care, but seriously, I didn't.  The day before I'd cooked a left over rotisserie chicken in the crock pot all day with two carrots, two celery, one onion, salt and pepper and thyme.  The broth was strained and the meat taken off ( I also saved the icky bits for mixing with the dogs food and he has been in heaven for meal times!).  So, I chopped up what I had to use: 
3/4 head of green cabbage
3/4 head of red cabbage
3 carrots
3-4 celery
1 whole onion
1 head of cauliflower

Once I chopped them up every so vigorously and without much care, I piled them into the crock pot. I then, seasoned with some salt and poured over my broth from the day before.  I plunked the chicken pieces right on top.  Lastly, I threw in some Tuscan themed seasoning I had purchased at the Grocery Outlet Bargain Market.  I'll try to add a pic of that and whats in it later. I threw the lid on, turned it on low and ran out the door to school drop off and work. 

When I got home around 4:30 I stirred it and it smelled great! It looked horrid.  I splashed in about 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar because I saw right away it was taking on a Borscht look.  I usually splash some vinegar or Worcestershire sauce in my soups anyway because it adds a depth to it that I love.  I mean think about it, your fresh veggies get some oil and vinegar and spices, why not your cooked ones!? 

So, the flavor was astounding.  At first I thought it was because I was so hungry but I had more last night (actually, this pic is from that leftover portion) and it was just as amazing.  In tradition with the Borscht feel, I plunked a spoon full of sour cream on top. The fact that it was a rotisserie chicken stock may have helped with the flavor as well.  

I love when amazing things just come to be out of necessity.  What's that they say?  "Necessity is the mother of good soup"?  lol

No comments:

Post a Comment